2020 THE FUNK
Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Walla Walla Valley
The Rocks District of Milton-Freewater
Funk Estate Vineyard, located on the apex of the alluvial fan that makes up The Rocks District of Milton-Freewater, is distinguished by alluvial soils, consisting of basalt pebbles, cobbles and boulders washed from the Blue Mountains.
This very special site contains everything necessary to grow vineyard-designate wines with a strong sense of place: cobbly soils, ideal elevation, gentle sloping aspect, precision water control, meticulous canopy management, and a warm, but not too hot macroclimate.
Funk Estate Vineyard is certified LIVE and Salmon Safe. LIVE certification assures that this wine was crafted with the most advanced standards for sustainable grape growing and winemaking.
The grapes were cold soaked for 5 days prior to fermentation. At the start of fermentation, pulsed air was injected into the fermenters, in addition to pump-overs. Upon active fermentation, pump-overs and punch-downs were performed two to three times per day by hand. The overall duration of the contact time of the wine with the skins ranged from 12 to 22 days. The young wine was transferred to French oak barrels to complete fermentation.
18 months in French oak barrels. 60% New. The best barrels of the vintage were selected and bottled. The bottled wine was aged 19 months prior to release.
THE FUNK Estate Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep, garnet hue, which hints at the concentrated flavors within. On the nose, you’ll find a medley of dark red and black fruits, such as blackberry, black cherry, and cassis, intertwined with subtle notes of soy, earth, spice, cocoa nibs, and mocha. The palate is rich and velvety, showcasing perfectly ripe fruit flavors complemented by well-integrated tannins. There’s a delightful undercurrent of spice, contributing to the wine’s complexity. The finish is long-lasting, leaving lingering impressions of dark chocolate and a hint of cedar. A well-crafted Cabernet Sauvignon with a distinctive, flavorful character and the capacity to age beautifully. Drink 2025-2040.
THE FUNK Estate Cabernet Sauvignon checks all the boxes for world-class quality! Cabernet Sauvignon thrives under certain conditions in the vineyard, and when combined with our two plus decades of winemaking expertise, the result is this very special vineyard-designate wine:
- Well-Drained Soils: Funk Estate Vineyard soils are well-drained alluvium and, while consisting of small fractions of silt, sand, gravel, it is primarily cobbles and boulders washed out of the Blue Mountains.
- Warm…Not Hot Weather: Cabernet loves sunny, warm weather. This vineyard site is not too hot, so the grapes ripen slowly, allowing for full development of the flavors and color.
- Balance: Due to consistent soil conditions and water availability throughout the block, every vine ripens together harmoniously.
- Temperature Shifts: The location of this vineyard delivers ideal temperature shift between daytime high and nighttime low temperatures during the final stages of ripening which maintains refreshing acidity.
- Fruit Composition: Clusters are characterized by extraordinarily small berry size which gives us a high skin-to-juice ratio, providing concentrated flavors and aromas. Fruit is handpicked and hand sorted.
- Experience: 24 years of winemaking and winegrowing experience guided our decisions with clarity, vision, and focus as we nurtured this wine from vineyard to bottle.
92 Points – Wine Enthusiast
94 Points | Owen Bargreen
93 Points | Jeb Dunnuck
92 Points | James Suckling
91 Points | International Wine Report